Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie Bowls W Puffy Croutons


My hubby isn't a huge pot pie fan... Maybe it's becuase until last night I had never been able to master the taste that he likes. So I made this dish following the recipe to the T and not giving the name of the meal until the end when Joe was getting his second helping and I asked... "how do you like dinner?" He replied with... "it tastes like Chicken pot pie with out the pie" haha... But he said it was good and my boys both scarffed down 2 bowls each. Everyone loved the croutons. Keep an eye on them in the oven... mine only took 12-15min rather than the 25min suggested. The soup in the bowl was so good I would use it as a filler for a real chicken pot pie... It was excellent!

Chicken Pot Pie Bowls with Puffy Croutons
*Pickly Palate

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium white onion finely diced
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 stick butter (I know, I hear the groans)
½ Cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 cans chicken broth
1 Cup half and half (there go the groans again)
½ Cup low fat sour cream (better?)
1 Cup petite peas, frozen is fine
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of garlic salt, Lawry’s

1 sheet thawed puff pastry
1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp water
¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning

1. Heat oil into a large dutch oven or heavy pot. Saute carrots, onion, celery and onion until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low stir in chicken and simmer.

2. In a separate medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and half and half until smooth. Increase heat to high while continually whisking until mixture thickens and almost starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in sour cream and peas. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of garlic salt (won’t need much). Simmer on low while croutons are cooking.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Gently roll out puff pastry with a rolling pin to even thickness. With pastry brush, brush pastry with egg wash and lightly sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. With pizza cutter, cut into ½ inch squares. Place squares onto a large baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool.

4. Serve in pot pie base in bowls and top with puffy croutons, Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy! Daniel is not a big fan of chicken pot pie either. I'll have to try that one.

scott said...

Ok, so the bike fit me perfectly! And I am still large in stature.

I was not sure which blog to comment on, so I choose the best tasting one of all, and this is it!!!

We will need to try out some recipes. I wonder if Windy checks this site. I know she checks a lot of them quite regularly.

Anonymous said...

btw, did you take that picture too? Awesome if you did!